Skip to main content

Environmental Monitoring & Technology: FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can use the libraries?

If you are a current student or staff member at North Metropolitan TAFE (Balga, Clarkson, East Perth, Joondalup, Leederville, McLarty, Mt Lawley, Midland, Nedlands, and Perth campuses) you have automatic access to all College libraries. Libraries are currently located at Balga, Joondalup, Leederville, Mt Lawley, Midland and Perth. Your student / staff ID card is also your library card and your photocopy / printing card. 

How many items can you borrow?

Students can borrow up to eight items at any one time. Child Care and Education Support Students are also entitled to ten items from the Toy Library (Toy Libraries are located at Joondalup, Leederville and Midland). Staff can borrow up to 25 items at a time. 

How long for?

Most items, including toys, can be borrowed for four weeks. Some items (eg. certain DVDs) are on overnight loan and Reserve items and some equipment can only be borrowed for two hours. Some high-use items are on a seven day loan at some campuses.

Can I renew my loans?

As long as no-one else has requested the item that you have borrowed, you may renew it once by phone or email, or in person at the loans desk. If your loans are not overdue you can also log in to our Library catalogue using your network login and password and renew items yourself.

How do I reserve an item?

If an item you require is on loan, you may reserve it by placing a hold on it. You can do this yourself by logging in to the Library catalogue, or ask a library staff member for assistance

What about overdue items?

Overdue notices are issued and failure to return items may incur charges, for example, an invoice for the replacement cost of an item.

How do I access electronic resources?

The library has a large collection of electronic resources - journals, videos and eBooks. If you are on-campus, you can access resources directly - either by searching the Library catalogue or from links on this library guide or the individual course guides. If you are searching from off-campus, you will have to log in using your network login and password when you first click on a link to a resource. 

Can I borrow from other libraries?

North Metropolitan TAFE students and staff can borrow from any other WA TAFE Library; Edith Cowan University Libraries; Murdoch University Library and Curtin University Library. You just need to take your student or staff card and proof of enrolment / address to the library that you wish to borrow from. Please check the websites of the other participating libraries for their policies. Access to computers at other institutions is usually not possible. 

Students and staff from these institutions can also borrow from North Metropolitan TAFE Libraries. Please bring your student or staff card and proof of current enrolment. You will only be able to borrow two items from the NMT Libraries. Students from other institutions cannot access any computers at any NMT campuses.

Do you have equipment for loan?

A variety of equipment is available for loan including digital video cameras, digital still cameras, battery chargers and various netbooks / chromebooks, etc. Ask at your home campus library for details of what is available. Loan periods vary, so check with the library staff when borrowing.

What about computers / internet access?

Computers are to be used for educational purposes and by NMT students or staff only. Students must abide by the terms and conditions of the College's computer user policy when using library computers.

All the computers in the Libraries have internet access and Office software, as well as other programs such as MYOB. Students can access computers without having to book in advance, with the exception of some areas that may be reserved for class groups or other specific purposes at some campuses.

How do I photocopy, print or scan?

Procedures for student printing and copying vary from campus to campus. Check with your home campus library for further details, including how to activate and use your card for printing, adding credit to your card and current prices.

You can also scan documents and save them to a USB on the library MFDs. There is no charge for scanning.

Copyright - what's that?

You are responsible for adhering to the Australian Copyright Act. Information on the Act is displayed next to the photocopiers, or go to the Smartcopying website to read about it at

Do you have separate study areas?

Each library has group study areas, as well as individual carrels. Some libraries also have a dedicated quiet study area. There are also rooms available for students to use for group work, eg. role plays. These rooms should be booked in advance at the loans desk.

Do you have notice boards for student use?

Yes. Remember to check the notice boards situated in the library and foyer. They provide information that could be important to you. 

Do you have a wireless network for students?

Yes. If you need assistance accessing the student wireless network, please ask at the loans desk.